50 Central Street, Sunapee, NH (603) 763-3294
Oil heating is common in New England but has risks....
This canadian homeowner had an oil tank leak....one of the areas we closely inspect is the fuel storage and delivery system, both for Oil and Propane.
Problems are regularly found that homeowners were unaware of and can be catastrophic with air, soil and groundwater contamination.
Oil leak forces demolition of heritage home
A Ferguson's Falls resident is still hoping to save a portion of her heritage log home even after demolition began at the property, which has been contaminated by an oil leak.
Shortly after her home heating oil tank was filled at the end of November, it was discovered to be empty. The oil had leaked into the ground. The leak was reported to the DOE which ordered a clean-up. It will cost roughly $1 million (covered by insurance) to clean up the 900 litres of spilled oil.
Command's log home dates back to 1852. Demolition of a newer addition to the house began last week.
Although contamination of the soil under the heritage portion of the house hadn't been officially confirmed as of Tuesday, Command said it appeared obvious that oil had leaked under it.
"I'm trying my very best to save it," said Command, adding that she hoped the original section of the house could be moved using earth moving equipment, allowing contaminated soil to be removed without demolishing it. "We'll try to push it over, and if it crumbles, it crumbles," she said. It would cost $20,000 to have the home moved by professional house movers.
For Command, the whole incident has raised many questions. "How can I have a tank on my property for this many years and be this ignorant of oil?" she asked. "Oil has to be treated with respect."
If information brochures were sent to everyone using oil heat, she said, it would help reduce the risk of oil leaks, and the risk of damage to the environment. Fuel oil, said Command, contains many additives which make it a far more toxic substance than crude oil.
Command said since her story has received media coverage, many homeowners have been calling their insurance companies and discovering they wouldn't be covered in the event of a similar incident.